Sunday, July 13, 2008

Minor Progress




We are now a couple months into our home building adventure and I must say it is much cheaper than I expected - perhaps that is because nothing has happened. I have purchased several thousand dollars worth of styrofoam. I would suggest styrofoam manufacturing to anyone looking for a good business - That stuff is expensive! These are the structure for the insulated concrete form foundation/home. When finished this house should be very cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It should also be fairly tornado proof. The rainy season here has lasted much longer than anticipated so they have not been able to pour any concrete - as far as I am concerned this is only delaying my ability to dig holes and plant stuff (I don't like decorating - just landscaping) - that is what I am really waiting for - Today I have also added a couple of Silver Dollar City photos - the kids had a great time there - Benjamin loved his first roller coaster ride. Unfortunately he couldn't ride several things because he is so short - so he has come home and been drinking more milk in an attempt to grow. I think it is working! He is an inch taller than when we measured him in May - so he grew and inch in the first 8 weeks in the US - yeah for protein!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi!
I'm glad I found your blog! I don't think you will regret for one minute building with Insulated Concrete Forms - even if the styrofoam is expensive! Are you doing this all yourself?
In my own research, ICF are superior in so many ways. ICF
are superior in so many ways.
Perhaps you can find some more ideas for your home since it's taken longer than you hoped to build (isn't that what they all say?)
Have a great day - and enjoy your home building process!

Willowmom said...

We are excited about the ICF - the energy efficiency should be excellent - although it is not exactly "green" because of the energy it takes to make the concrete.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...