Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hola from the Domincan Republic

I am suffering here in the DR. The temperature is a sweltering 80 degrees during the day and 69 at night - poor me! I hope everyone at home is not to cool! We are having a good trip. Our group of 11 from the church is in La Romana assisting a church with cleanup of their facilities - which means most of the group is chopping down weeds with a machete and deconstructing and rebuilding a concrete block wall, and painting, Jim is fixing the electrical stuff along with his apprentice Bub and his assistant/gopher Deanna. Rhonda and I are visiting many homes and trying to help people obtain their medications for a month or two - We are seeing many people with unbelieveably high blood pressure and blood sugar - who can't afford their meds. It is a little disconcerting to treat someone - who will be unable to afford their meds in a month. We attended a great worship service today - Marcus spoke and told the same jokes he tells at home - I don't think they were as funny this time - but the other worshippers appreciated them. Tonight we are going to a service in a poor Haitian community. Some of the people we meet speak English, most Spanish, some Creole, and rarely French. Tomorrow we have a big list of patients to visit and on Tuesday we get a break for a beach day. We are having a great time and are learning a lot. We leave for home on Thursday afternoon and should arrive early Friday morning - I will miss the weather here immensely! I have also missed 2 of my kids having the stomach flu since I left - so I think God must be blessing me for doing a mission trip!!! I would post photos of my trip - but I am not smart enough to know how to do that with someone elses laptop and my SD card!

2 comments:

theallens said...

Hey Laurie...it's great reading your update!!! Sounds like you guys are keeping busy. Can't wait to hear about everything when you all return. Marcus is supposed to call tomorrow. It's funny that I'm not the only one who thinks his jokes aren't as funny the second time around :) Anyway....it's 22 degrees here tonight. Brrrr!!! Well, I better try to go to sleep now. It seems my nights are a lot longer when I'm home alone...at least I do have a "little" someone to share my bed with. ;) Have fun the rest of your trip!!!! Angie

prayerworks said...

Wow what an international group we have. R.T. here in Australia, you in the D.R., Bob on his way to Jamaica....wow. by the way, is your hubby the only doc in willow right now....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...